Monday, April 12, 2010

Maxis Broadband and Customer Experience

First of all I wanted to say thank you to streamyx. If streamyx didn't go down on me and used days to solve the problem, I don't have the chance to hook up with maxis BB.

I was discussing this maxis BB promo package with my friends and even tweeted it, the reply was why don't you try digi, it is a lot cheaper. It was because Digi didn't cover my housing area with 3G but with EDGE only. I tried to use the EDGE to go online, oh well, the speed is like snail and I think my 28.8k modem is even faster. Then I continued to try on maxis and wow... I was amazed by the performance. Maxis did cover my area with 3G and the speed is even slightly faster than my streamyx.

I was using my friend's maxis and digi bb so now I have decided to sign up with Maxis. I had an appoinment with my friends at the Curve and since I am going there, so I went to the Maxis Center and asked for this package. I was very disappointed when I had been told that they don't have stock (the modem) and asked me to leave my contact so that they can contact me when the stock arrive. Ok, fine, I left my contact and I asked for the ETA (Estimated time of arrival) of the stock, they told me ONE week.

I came back to the service center near where I stay, they told me the same story, out of stock but she promised me the stock will arrive by tomorrow and I left my contact there as well.

I wasn't believe that my luck is so bad, I tried the center in The Mines and they also tell me the whole KL is now out of stock and don't know when will they have stock. This one even worst!

Well, it seems like only one center can promise me the ETA of the modem is the one near me.

I waited until the next day, I called the sales person and asked before I go. She told me the stock is ready. I was so happy because at least I can use it to hook on to the internet again and bare in mind that, my streamyx is still down although I have made a few phone calls and it was down since 4 days ago.

OK, let me show you what I got from Maxis.

This is the box I got from Maxis, it gave me a feeling like a CD casing. And it is sealed with some security stickers.

DSCN6146 (Large)

The back of the "CD Casing" is written with the technical spec of the device. It is manufactured by Huawei, the model is E1762 and here are the list of key features:
1. Absolute mobility across HSPA/3G/EDGE/GPRS networks
2. 7.2Mbps download and 5.76Mbps upload capabilities
3. Multi-functional USB drive with Micro SD Card slow
4. USB 2.0 for simple plug and play

From system and OS perspective, it can support anything that's from Windows 200 SP4 onwards and even Mac that's running OS 10.4 and 10.5 with the latest upgrades.

DSCN6147 (Large)

Most importantly is this device – the broadband modem USB stick. It came with a USB extension cable as well, just in case you need it. Not a bad idea. Basically I like the physical appearance of the device, glossy white color.

DSCN6149 (Large)

That's this user manual included in the casing as well and I took out the device so that you can have a closer look at it.

DSCN6150 (Large)

Not to forget about the SIM card. It is printed with the word "maxis broadband" on it and it is so green. Haha...is it another way of supporting go green?

DSCN6152 (Large)DSCN6153 copy copy (Large) 

The sales person told me I should be able to use it in an hour or two. I will try it out and have another short write up about the installation process and QoS (Quality of Service) later.

6 comments:

  1. Maxis is one of the worse broadband!

    If you exceed your limit, it will bring you to a Maxis website and ask you to pay more money or else cannot use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... you may back to the wonderful world of internet again.. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i've been using Maxis broadband for more than a year. I would say, I've bad experience with it...Probably other Internet provider in Malaysia is even worst..but sorry to say, I won't give any great comment on Maxis BB. =)...Anyway, I hope you have a great time =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wont recommended MAXIS.. I've been complaining and cursing till I'm fetup about it since I got the package (2year contract) for sure I wont renew it when it expired this mth..

    At last no more swearing & cursing u @#$@*&#!@##$ MAXIS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kevin: see.. all the bad experience but anyway it could be due to the expectation & perception :)

    anyway, the latest modem they bundled is a plus! it pump up the upload speed a lot compare to my old huawei modem :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya, lots of bad comments and I don't think it is that good. But like what Hunt said, it is the expectation & perception. I need to use it because my home is not covered by Digi 3G (the only choice I want, don't mention about celcom). And my streamyx is not stable at the moment.

    Actually, my main purpose is on the modem, if the service is bad, I will just terminate it after 5 months (without contract) and keep the modem since it is free for me. I can use it for other wireless BB provider. :)

    ReplyDelete