Monday, February 8, 2010

Singapore Airshow 2010

Last Saturday I went to the Singapore Airshow which held every 2 years in Changi Exhibition Center.

I heard it was very crowded 2 years ago and the traffic was really terrible. I guessed the organizing committee is a fast learner, this time, they charge SGD20 for each car who want to park in the center. So the cheapest way is to take the shuttle bus from either T2 or T3. The shuttle bus fare is already included in the entrance ticket fees.

I was there early so the crowd was not there yet. It was a sunny until I got sunburn after the event. :(

People told me this airshow is better than the one in Langkawi (LIMA) but I was a bit disappointed after attending. During the airshow, airplanes are coming out one by one, twist and turn in the air to show us how great was a jet fighter. Apache helicopter was there to show us the stunt too but I was expecting something more. I wanted to see air formation like the one I saw in LIMA 2 years ago. I exposed myself to the strong sunlight and taking the consequences of sunburn just to wait for an air formation. At the end, I really got a serious sunburn but didn’t get to see what I wanted to.

Since there is no formation and I don’t have a long lens so I am not going to show the airplane’s stunt show photos.

_DSC0070 copy 

After taking the shuttle bus for 15 mins and with a little jam, finally I had arrived at the entrance and they called it Registration Gateway.

As you can see here, they were very well prepared, already setup all the rails and security scanning devices. Just like before you board an aircraft, you gonna be checked to make sure you didn’t bring in something which is illegal.

_DSC0073 copy

After the security check point, I proceed to the place where I can have a close touch with the planes. Here’s the banner which welcoming everyone and afraid that if you have forgotten why you are here, at least this is to remind you.

_DSC0074 copy_DSC0076 copy 

There were a lot of this “Global Security begins with ISR” banner beside the walkway. But hey, they looked very hightech ya.

There were indoor and outdoor sections. And of course, the indoor one is equipped with aircond and plenty of booths just like a computer fair. But this is selling aircraft and military technologies.

I have decided to start with the outdoor first and before I start my journey, I asked my friend to take a photo of me. At least to proof that I was there. :P

_DSC0077 copy

OK, here’s the first aircraft which welcome me at the entrance of the walkway. I can’t remember what’s the name of the aircraft but it has something to do with spying.

_DSC0082 copy

Oh ya, before I move forward to show you more aircraft, I wanted to introduce to you this brand called Breitling. It is a brand for watches and the price is quite expensive and the targeted consumer group is pilots. The watchmaker offers Certified Chronometers designed primarily for aviation use, though most frequently worn as high-end luxury watches. Breitling's watches offer aviation functions, though their chronograph functions have become more of status symbols than practically applied tools.

_DSC0084 copy

Let’s continue the journey with more aircrafts.

_DSC0089 copy _DSC0086 copy

_DSC0096 copy

_DSC0107 copy

When do I have the chance to walk on this carpet and go in to the plane?

_DSC0114 copy

This is the most special one among all because usually propellers are design at the front of the wings or nose to pull the aircraft forward. But in this aircraft, it is designed at the back of the wing to push the aircraft, just like a jet engine airplane. 

_DSC0129 copy

Private jets… How I wish one day I could own one.

_DSC0139 copy _DSC0135 copy

Aha… this is a part of a wing, the surface is to reflective. Therefore you can see there are a few photogs taking the reflection. This is not a bomb.

_DSC0147 copy

There are a lot of this tag (Remove before flight) on an airplane, I was wondering what if I have forgotten to take out one of them and started the flying journey.

_DSC0148 copy

A nose gear.

_DSC0151 copy

This is not a bomb either, it is a fuel tank.

_DSC0152 copy

Yet another multi-propeller powered aircraft. You need a multi engine rating license to pilot it.

_DSC0173 copy _DSC0161 copy

US Air Force is also participating here.

_DSC0193 copy

  _DSC0205 copy

It is the tail of Airbus A330-200F. The Airbus A330 is a large-capacity, wide-body, twin-engine, medium-to-long-range commercial passenger airliner. Built at Toulouse in France by Airbus, over 600 units have been delivered. The A330-300 carries 295 passengers in a three-class cabin layout (335 in 2 class and 440 in single class layout) over a range of 10,500 km (5,650 nautical miles). It has a large cargo capacity, comparable to early Boeing 747s. The direct Boeing equivalents are the Boeing 777-200 and the Boeing 767-400ER.

_DSC0251 copy

The belly of A330-200F.

_DSC0255 copy _DSC0266 copy_DSC0271 copy 

There are so many people queuing up to sit in the aircraft (picture below).

_DSC0275 copy

Out of so many photos that shown above, I didn’t post anything that’s related to helicopter and here you go. They were so cute! Haha…

_DSC0279 copy

_DSC0201 copy

2 comments:

  1. Great experience, the helicopter really adorable and can wait ti get a pilot licence to fly them off. The photo u took indeed very sharp, what lens are you using, even the sky is the same either. Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, all except the sunburn. i used to struggle with that at air shows, but I found a product called Regen. It flat takes care of sunburn pain and stops me from blistering and peeling. Give it a try :http://blog.oli-co.com/?p=561

    ReplyDelete