Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sleep Cycle

I came across this software in Apps Store and also heard people talking about it in twitter. Initially, I don't bother about it because I don't think it can really works until my friend started to use it and recommended it to me. I was telling myself why not give it a try and see how it works.

I will briefly tell you how it works here.

It act as a natural alarm clock to wake you up when you are in the lightest sleep phase so that you won't feel reluctant or tired after getting up.

It is also relying or utilizing the accelerometer in the iPhone to detect your movement while you are sleeping. Therefore in order for it to work, you must put it on the bed and the closer to your body the better so that it can detect movement and record your sleeping pattern.

One more point that I like about this apps is it will record what time you gone to bed, what time you wake up, total hours of sleep and also average how many hours you slept thru out the nights.

Let me also share with you my personal experience on this apps.

image 
From the graph showing above, you might think that I was sleeping very well whole night long? And I only had one big movement (turning) at around 4am? Actually you are wrong because I wasn't placing my iPhone at the correct position and it can't detect my movement properly.

So I tried again the 2nd night and the graph is showing ups and downs. According to sleep cycle's research, this is a more ideal situation that we should achieve.
image

3rd night, I was not having a good night sleep, I remembered I was having a dream but I couldn't remember what was that. Anyway, what I was trying to say is the graph is quite accurate, most of the time I was dreaming instead of having deep sleep.
image

4th night, I couldn't remember why there were big movements from 1am onwards until 4am. From 4am to 6am, I don't think I am having such a sound and deep sleep, it might detected wrongly because I have kicked my iPhone to no where. At around 7.30am, I wasn't at deep sleep, I remember that.
image

5th night, I need to wake up early on Saturday very early in the morning and I had the shortest sleep among so many days, it was only 5 hours 42 min. Although the graph is showing that I was having a dream (or nightmare), I woke up during deep sleep and sleep cycle's research was true, I was so tired and felt so reluctant to wake up.
image

6th night, I don't have to work the next day and of course I don't have to wake up early. Sleep all I can until wake up naturally. The sleeping pattern showed below was quite accurate, I don't remember I had any dream at all, it was a sound, sweet and very deep sleep.
image

7th night, I was feeling so tired the night before I slept but I just don't understand why I couldn't fall in sleep. Even I managed to fall in sleep but the whole night I just feel like I was not sleeping and half awake. I believe that created so many movement and resulted in this pattern.
image

After a week of testing, my average total time is 7h 09m for 7 nights. I have set the target to increase it to at least 8 hours. Looks like I need to put in more "effort" to sleep earlier to bring the average up. :D

Conclusion, this software is good to have to analyse your sleeping pattern and improve on the sleeping hour. It is interesting to look at your sleeping pattern every morning. If you are iPhone or iPod user, why not give it a try? And then share with me your experience / comments / feedback ya. ;)

OK, the time is getting late, I should sleep now else I wouldn't be able to make the average goes up. Haha...

Want to know more about this apps? Click here.

3 comments:

  1. This software does not work well for me cos the mattress that I am using is too high tech. It cannot detect my sleep movements unless it's big movements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... ya, I understand your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont wan to kick my iPhone down the bed, btw research show that putting handphone (iPhone included) beside you when you sleep is not healthy at all. The radioactive wave, the frequency, the electromagnet....

    ReplyDelete