Monday, January 25, 2010

Being taken for granted...

Last night I was in KL Convention Center to attend an annual dinner. For this kind of event how can I left my D90 sitting at home and do nothing? Of course I brought it to the dinner and hopefully to take some good photos and could share with my blog readers. I was a guest and not an O.P. So taking photos there was just to pursuit my personal interest.

While you are holding a "big camera" with external flash gun, people tend to think that you are an O.P. or at least professional photog (but I am not a prof one, still learning).

After taking photos with my friends, I went back to my table and continue to take the food. Some where in the midst of me taking this delicious fish, one of a friend in the gang called me, waved at me, asked me to go there. They were already in position and ready for a shot. Somehow in my mind, I was thinking, how can they be so damn good ask me to join the crowd for the shoot?

Without figuring out the answer, I jumped in and smile at the camera in front of me. The one who waved at me told me "hey, not asking you to take photo with us la." I wasn't sure what I heard and another person repeated that to make me feel worse, "aiyo, not asking to jump in with us la, take your camera to take this shot for us".

Then only I knew the "purpose" of me being called and cleared the doubt when I was jumping in earlier.

Guys and gals what do you feel and what would you do when you were in this situation?

OK, I was trying to be nice and not to spoil the situation so I walked all the way back to my table and get the camera and shoot for them. And guess what? I couldn't even hear a word saying thank you to me, my work wasn't appreciated and do REMEMBER this, I was NOT the O.P. (Official Photographer) for the event. For those who knew me, how can I only took 150 photos for a 4 hours event? simply because my mood was spoiled for the whole night. Damn! WTF...

Some times, I really think that is it I am being too nice and easy-going with my friends and they have started to take for granted? Should I set this as one of my new year resolution of not being taken for granted anymore?

This wasn't the first incident from the same gang of people. Should I tolerate further? Everyone has their limit and quota, and mine was reached!

6 comments:

  1. ya, you're nice and dependable, so others would always ask you for help. However, it's true that people like to take good thing they got as granted. They think they're worth to get it, and it's something wrong if they were not given. C'mon people, be thankful for every moment we are still alive. Be thankful for everything others do for us.

    Kevin, you should continue to be a nice guy, but it's time to learn saying NO to something you don't want to do. You should have an attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will never take you for granted...just u take me for granted only...

    Yours truthly,
    Nuffnang support :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kev. That means you are respected for your skills mah. Anyway, can you "put" up the pictures on FB. It has been awhile since I last saw anyone from the office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time you could say your flash is out of battery and you haven't yet changed them, or that your food is getting cold =p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! That guy's an ass. His friend even worse, tambah summore.

    Next time, say if they want their photos you have to charge them. Muahahah!

    Though, I would say that it works the other way around as well in a good way - sometimes, you actually get to meet new friendly people through being a photographer. They'll ask you to tag them on Facebook, and presto - you have a new friend! Well, on FB at least, but sometimes results in some real friendships. Happened to me before. Good luck!

    Josh Lim
    Josh.my

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the comments here. Maybe I should look at the bright side of the incident.

    Josh, I had the same experience like what you said before. It was a good one. :)

    Joy, I think the latter execuse is a lot better. :) LOL...

    ReplyDelete