Monday, December 7, 2009

Review of Mophie Juice Pack Air (Part 1)

I have a very bad habit which is reading people’s blog. Oh yea, what’s wrong? Reading blog is not a bad habit at all but the problem is I always read it with my iPhone while I am free. Most of the time when I am free I will not be sitting in front of my pc and yet I just can’t get away from digital gadget even while I am in the toilet doing “business”. Now you tell me is this habit good? Haha…

And I always have one issue with my iPhone which is the battery. The battery just can’t last long enough for my usage. Therefore, I have decided to buy an extra battery pack for it. I have been thinking and considering on this solution again and again.

Today I told myself not to think on it anymore. If I don’t put it into action, I will be still sitting here and continue to dream on it only. But by putting it in action, to make my dream come true, to solve the battery issue, to have a longer usage time, to… (and the reasons go on just to convince myself), I have to pay off quite a large amount of RM for it.

The packaging  This is how the packaging looks like.

Inside the box1 
Inside of the box

With the new extended battery pack installed, it worked as a cover for the phone as well, so I don’t have to buy any other cover for it and stop considering (again) on all those fancy punky iPhone covers.

By looking at the photo you will know how bulky is the phone now. And of course with the increase of the physical size, the weight increase too. This is the trade off for a longer uptime? Sigh… nothing is perfect in this world.

There is a battery checker at the back of it. Just press once at the button, it will show you the power status. Thanks God, the designer of this cover used a blue light for the status but not red and green, I just feel that those colors are way too common and old-ish.

Back with status light  Battery status lights

There is a button and a micro USB at the bottom of the battery pack. The button is designed for user to control when to pump the power stored at the extended battery to the internal battery. I like this mechanism by physically pushing the button to start charging. Sometimes too much of digital control is not good.

Bottom with micro USB and charging switch   Bottom of the juice pack: Micro USB port and charging switch

One thing I don’t understand why the designer want to use another type of USB port? Why not just use the same one as what iPhone is using or a mini USB port. If it is using mini USB port, I have plenty of cables which can use for that and don’t have to rely on the apple’s USB cable (which is quite expensive to buy another one). Anyway, I think the designer might think that to make the product unique or outstanding, that’s why a micro USB port has been chosen.

Micro USB cable  Micro USB port cable is provided as well.

Side view  Side view of the phone after “wearing” the extended battery pack.

Top view Top view: The power button and earphone jack is still accessible.

I will do a UAT and PST on how does Juice Pack work with my iPhone. Stay tuned for the second part of this review.

2 comments: